Wild Beetroot & Onion Pasta Dough Recipe
Serves 4I love putting a new twist on a classic dish and our Wild Beetroot & Onion gourmet blend adds “WOW” to traditional homemade pasta dough. The flavour is sublime and the colour is gorgeous. Just add our Wild Beetroot & Onion seasoning to your favourite pasta recipe or try the one below.
- 400 g ‘00’ flour
- 1 TBS Wild Beetroot & Onion Gourmet Blend
- ½ tbsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 TBS olive oil (for a silkier dough)
- In a large mixing bowl lightly whisk together the flour, Wild Beetroot & Onion seasoning and salt.
- Make a well in the centre and add the eggs and the olive oil. Give the liquids a little stir with a fork to break up the eggs.
- Using your fingertips, start blending the ingredients together. Once well mixed, form into a ball.
- Now it’s time to place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and start to knead. If the dough is too sticky, knead in a bit more flour. Don’t skimp on kneading as it makes a difference to the pasta texture. Kneading develops the gluten, so keep going until you have a nice silky smooth dough ball.
- Wrap the dough and let it rest for at least an hour.
- Follow your pasta machine directions to make your preferred style and shape
- Cooking fresh pasta takes only a few minutes in a large pot of rapidly boiling water.
I like to keep it simple and not overwhelm the delicate flavour of this pasta, so tossing with a bit of quality olive oil, a grind or two of fresh black pepper and topping with soft goat cheese, such as a Persian feta, makes a magical dish!